Hyrup

Hyrup

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Open my eyes

So I have been volunteering at the Salvation Army, and I never knew how much they do.  It has truly opened my eyes, and I have realized that I do complain alot BUT others have it way way worse than me.  I work with a 23 yr old girl, who I got to talking too.  She told me she works there cause she is in the "Program", because she has 3 drug felonies and was having a terrible time kicking hte habit, I was like what program?? Well the SA has a rehab program, they take these people (whom others have given up on) they put them in housing, give them work at the SA, have counseling, feed them and the whole nine yards....they have a strict program each person has to go thru and so on.  After hearing all this, learning that 95% of the workers there are in this program and they are all very nice people.  So it has had me thinking for weeks, and my heart just grows knowing I get to be around these people!!!  And makes me realize that yes we have HUGE financial troubles but there are kids and people out there who have it so much worse, and these people come in every day happy to get another chance. 
The SA has also stepped up to get the Toy Run going for kids in need because Toys for Tots didn't this year...This is an another program that is close to my heart...Many years ago when the boys were small the only way they got a christmas was because of a program like this...Since then I take the kids out to pick out toys for kids in need because I want to teach them that Christmas isn't just about you, there are kids who get nothing and i want them to learn to care enough to give, I do not want to raise selfish kids!!!  Two years ago a very good friend saw us struggling very much and her family adopted us for christmas and we can home Christmas eve to a room full of presents!! And I will forever be eternally grateful for all of them!! It is people like this who know that you are too stubborn to ask for help and help you anyways!!
At Thanksgiving they took meals to families who couldn't afford one...while I was working there we collected 1000 turkeys--AWESOME!!!!
There are so many programs that go on in town that us everyday ordinary people have no idea that goes on.  I am so glad I have had the opportunity to see from the inside that there are very caring and giving people and programs out there!!! 
So I guess I a rambling in this post but this season I have seen it all from a different point of view, more like the behind the scenes and I want to do so much more.  If I have more $$ I would be out there helping any way I could, but I don't so I am doing what I can do to help-volunteering, we did get toys for the toy run--becuase every little bit helps!!
So how has this all really changed me?? It is helping me keep my faith alot more and easier (since the past few months I have lost it), I have been reading my bible every day and praying like crazy-not only for me but for everyone in my life!!!
I hope as you read this you too realize that we are truly blessed, and if those who are in worse situations can get thru it so can we!!!

Acts 20:35
35In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.' "

(there were tons of giving verses I just chose one)

No comments:

Post a Comment